Children learn best when they are happy and healthy. At Denham Green Academy we do our utmost to ensure that our pupils feel safe and enjoy coming to our academy.
All members of staff take the welfare of our pupils very seriously and are vigilant in our checks and monitoring to ensure that safeguarding is paramount. The academy prides itself on an outstanding pastoral care service.
Our aims are:
- To ensure that every pupil feels that they are a valued and important part of our academy community.
- To ensure that all pupils understand not only the importance of effective relationships, but how to build and sustain these.
- To promote an appreciation of life and respect for the world in which they live.
- To encourage a sense of personal accountability for their own actions and learning.
- To encourage families to value education and work in partnership with the academy.
We believe that our approach to pastoral care is second to none, however the development of our work in this areas is ongoing. We will continue to celebrate our success on a daily basis, by watching our children learn, succeed and become inspirational citizens.
Our dedicated Pastoral team is:
- Mr Nocera – Headteacher
- Mrs Tawana – Inclusion Manager
- Mrs C Williams – KS1 Lead
- Mrs MacLeod – Pastoral Manager
Mr Nocera and his team are responsible for the day to day running of this service. Their roles are to:
- Be the first point of contact for parents/carers who may wish to discuss any issues over and above general class teacher questions
- Deal with day to day child protection concerns
- Monitor attendance
- Liaise with all external agencies who offer support to children and families
- Contribute to academic meetings in an effort to support and identify barriers to learning
- Maintain current and accurate records with regard to child protection, incidents within the academy and other matters which link to the wellbeing of pupils and families
- Support children in dealing with issues around relationships and behaviour
- Ensure the team is kept fully informed around all issues relating to safeguarding and vulnerable children
- Ensure that staff are kept informed on a need to know basis of any issues or concerns regarding children in their care.
- Any other issue that may arise across the academy that impacts on a child’s social and emotional development
- Mrs Tawana is our Medical Lead and Mrs Lennox is our IHCP Practitioner
It is recognised by all who work within the academy that the responsibility of care for our children lies with each and every member of the academy community. In an effort to ensure that this is embedded across the academy a heavy emphasis is placed on values such as:
These and others are celebrated on a regular basis within a whole academy approach to learning and have become embedded within the curriculum we deliver.
Evidence suggests that pastoral care is most effective when:
- Support is received from parents/carers
- The academy’s provision for pastoral care is monitored on a regular basis
- Pupils are given clear explanations of what is expected of them in terms of behaviour and social skills
- A whole academy approach is undertaken, valued and delivered
We believe that our approach to pastoral care is second to none. Mrs MacLeod is our Pastoral Manager and is here to focus on the wellbeing of all our pupils and offer support to parents and carers. We will continue to celebrate our success on a daily basis, by watching our children learn, succeed and become inspirational citizens.
All of our staff are trained in first aid and many of them are trained as fire marshalls.